QUESTIONS ABOUT THE ROYAL GORGE ROUTE RAILROAD
Yes! With all COVID precautions in place, we’re running with up to four departures daily through the Royal Gorge. Check out our breakfast train, lunch train, afternoon train and dinner train — and upcoming special events. Our 403 Grill is open and our bar is stocked!
For future reservations, check out our Ride page and/or Dine page, and book your ride. For same-day tickets, give us a call to confirm availability at 719.276.4000.
Daily departures are 2 hours round trip or for our 6:30 departures, they are 2.5 hours round trip.
Yes – If using a GPS please use the following address: 330 Royal Gorge Blvd Canon City, CO 81212 Additionally, you will need to turn South at the traffic light at 3rd Street. You will find the Santa Fe Depot and plenty of free parking across the railroad tracks
Of course, we offer free parking adjacent to the Santa Fe Depot.
- We hope you do! We have dining options available in any class of service, and we serve delicious, locally sourced meals that are cooked on the train. We believe in healthy food options that will help you skip the fast food on your trip to the Royal Gorge.
- We offer full menu options to accommodate any dietary restrictions our passengers might have.
- Our onboard bar is fully stocked with terrific wines, Colorado microbrews, any cocktail you can dream up and a full slate of soft drinks.
Why would you want to? We are a restaurant on wheels and offer a wide variety of delicious options in every class of service, so we don’t allow outside food or beverages on the train. However, you may bring bottled water on the train.
In short – no. We are a Colorado casual kind of place. But, we do have some pretty special journeys that you may want to dress up for. If you are joining us for Murder Mystery, Gourmet Dinner in the Dome, or Gourmet Dinner in any of our cars, we suggest business casual attire. For any departure, we strongly suggest closed-toed shoes. If you are riding with the engineer in the cab, there are special clothing and safety requirements that we’ll share with you when you book.
Yes, we have several restrooms on the train. Some are wheelchair accessible while others are not We do have wheelchair accessible bathrooms in the train depot for guest comfort.
We do run in the rain and snow – in fact riding during such a time can be beautiful. In the event that the train is cancelled by the Royal Gorge Route Railroad due to inclement weather, we offer guests the opportunity to reschedule to a future date (up to a year) at no charge.
SAFETY IS OUR PRIORITY
We Care About You
We have always focused on providing a safe and sanitary environment and have reinforced our standard cleaning procedures, while adding increased frequency measures for things such as wiping down all touch points, counters, tables, door handles, register terminals, railings, seats, and menus.
We also continue to reinforce our policy for reporting illness. Not only are staff instructed to inform us if they have been exposed to the coronavirus, are being treated or tested for the coronavirus, or are experiencing flu-like systems, employees are also directed to stay home should they feel ill.
As of April 17, 2021:
- Parties will no longer be 6 feet apart. In other words, all tables will be seated normally.
- However, we will NOT yet be seating unrelated parties together, at the same tables. In a pre-COVID world, we followed a long tradition of railroad dining, seating people from around the world together to promote community and enhance your experience.
- When we return to our community dining approach, we will let future guests know.
- Staff will be wearing masks and guests are asked to wear masks when not seated at their dining tables
We are regularly sharing best practices with employees and guests on ways to protect against communicable diseases. As recommended by the CDC, we require guests to wear a facial covering until seated and while walking between rail cars. We suggest guests wash hands frequently and stay home if you are feeling ill.
All staff are checked for health each morning: temperatures are taken and they are required to stay home if feeling ill. All staff members are required to wear masks for your safety and for their safety.
We appreciate your willingness to wear a mask when not seated on the train.
For safety reasons, we do not allow carseats, strollers or booster seats on the train. If you have a child who is younger than 3 years old, they must sit on your lap.
There is no smoking anywhere on or near the train.
Only service animals are allowed on the train.
- No outside food or beverages are allowed on board with the exception of bottled water.
- No weapons of any kind may be carried on board.
- For the 2 hour train ride there is no smoking, E-cigarettes, or vapors allowed
- No Baby strollers, booster seats, or car seats
- All Bags are subject to search at the gate prior to boarding.
We have a lift device that will raise anyone on to the train who is unable to climb the exterior 5-7 stairs. However, the Vista Dome is not accessible to anyone in a wheel chair.
QUESTIONS ABOUT TICKETING
You are not charged a rescheduling fee if you call 24 hours before your departure. If you reschedule within 24 hours of your departure there is a $5 per ticket rescheduling fee for Coach, Club, and Vista Dome. There is a $35 per ticket fee for Gourmet Lunch and a $45 per ticket fee for Gourmet Dinner.
If you choose to cancel and you are booked for Coach, Club or Vista Dome there is a $14.50 per ticket fee that will be applied provided that you call 24 hours prior to your departure. Cancelling within 24 hours reservations becomes final and no refunds will be given, however we can issue a Gift Certificate for your total payment.
Special Events may not be cancelled, including Santa Express Train, Mother’s Day Brunch, Murder Mystery, New Year’s Eve Train and our Annual Wine Dinners.
We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express on the train and in the gift shop at the Santa Fe Depot.
Our trip through the Royal Gorge provides great views no matter where you sit on the train, so seating is computer generated and no guarantees of seating placement are made. Every guest also has unfettered access to the Open Air Car where they can take in the scenery away from their seats.
The Open Air car is available to anyone who purchases a ticket in any class of service. It is a standing room only car.
Hop aboard the Royal Gorge Route Railroad and experience a one-of-a-kind adventure through the Royal Gorge and Colorado Rockies. Departing daily from the Santa Fe Depot in Canon City.